Legendary actor and director Nyembezi Kunene died last Saturday (June 4) at 57. In memory of the entertainment industry icon, here are fourteen facts you probably didn’t know about Nyembezi.
1. Nyembezi Kunene was born in Meyerton, north of Vereeniging in Gauteng.
2. Nyembezi has been married for more than 30 years.
3. He has four children and one of his son is Sonqoba Kunene.
4. Nyembezi was living with his grandmother during his earlier age.
5. Nyembezi landed his first theatre role while he was still at high school.
6. He was inspired by the father of theatre Gibson “Bra Gib” Kente to join theatre production.
7. He was a director of the SABC1 comedy series, Emzini Wezinsizwa also had a role as Mchunu or Macingwane.
8. He has been working in community theatre projects and on a number of television projects since 1987.
9. Nyembezi was running drama school called Dramatic Zone, where he was teaching aspiring actors.
10. Nyembezi was the owner of under 12 soccer team, Kunene Aces, in the Vaal township of Sebokeng.
11. He was also a soccer player – playing for Kunene Aces (Masters).
12. He was an assistant director on TV shows which include Zikhethele, Vicious Circle , Sotho drama – Phamokati and the movie, Boomspruit.
13. He was a motivational speaker and also a master of ceremonies for various occasions.
14. Nyembezi even though he was ill he managed to short few episodes for Mzansi Magic’s Ring of Lies, e.tv’s soapie Scandal! and drama series Umlilo – you will currently see him on TV for the next coming weeks!
Rest in Peace, Nyembezi!
Source: Daily Sun