Artscape Theatre is holding auditions for its forthcoming production of John Kani’s play, Nothing But The Truth, which he himself will be directing.
‘Set in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Nothing But The Truth is an in-depth and subtle examination of family, sibling rivalry, truth, justice, forgiveness, reconciliation and the compassion of the human soul when it has been wronged. It mirrors how Sipho struggles to come to terms with the injustice he believes he has suffered at the hands of others; the loss of his wife, the death of his son and being passed over for a job’. (Review by Belinda Otas)
– Sipho, (will be extended to people with the body type and ability to portray a 62 year old Xhosa man, as opposed to age casting). Assistant Chief Librarian at the Port Elizabeth Public Library where he worked for almost 33 years.
– Thando (25-30 years) English/Zulu, Sipho Makhaya’s only daughter, a teacher, who also works as an interpreter at the Amnesty hearings of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
– Mandisa (20-25 years) English, is Sipho’s English-born niece who has lived in England all her life and has come to South Africa to bury her father’s ashes.
Call Close: 18 January 2016
Auditions: 20 January 2016, 10:00 – 17:00
(Please note auditions are by appointment only, and all auditions will be given a specific time within this window)
Call Backs: 22 January 2016, 10:00 – 17:00
Commitment Period: 11 April 2016 – 9 May 2016
- Prepare any short monologue no less than 2 minutes and not more than 3 minutes.
- Have knowledge of the play and of the characters.
- We are looking for people that are fluent in speaking/writing and reading isiXhosa/Zulu.
Interested applicants may forward their short CV with headshots to [email protected], fax to 021 410 9845 OR hand deliver to Artscape Stage Door:
For attention: Simone Rossouw, School Liaison Unit Officer, Artscape Theatre Centre