Not only will M-Net Edge (channel 102 on DStv) bring Game of Thrones Season 5 to viewers at exactly the same time that it airs in the US (Monday, 13 April at 03:00); the much-anticipated new season of the HBO series, as well as additional Game of Thrones content, will also be available on a variety of M-Net and DStv platforms – including DStv Catch Up, DStv Now and the M-Net App.
“The viewer response to our first-ever simulcast of an international series has been overwhelming,” says M-Net Channel Director Gideon Khobane. “There’s been a phenomenal buzz about Game of Thrones Season 5 on social media and the radio airwaves. Thousands of fans entered our competition to witness South African television history in the making when we link to the M-Net Edge broadcast at cinemas across the country too.
“The different ways in which we give viewers access to the new Game of Thrones season also signals that M-Net has its finger on the pulse of the very latest worldwide trends whilst also understanding the different needs and lifestyles of our multitude of viewers. People now want to consume entertainment at their convenience – and with Game of Thrones we’re facilitating this in unprecedented ways.”
So, how can you enjoy the exciting new season of Game of Thrones?
Express from the US:
- Die-hard fans, and those who don’t mind getting up before the crack of dawn for the Express from the US screening, can switch on their TV sets at 03:00 on the morning of Monday, 13 April. That’s at exactly the same time the US will experience the latest scandalous adventures in the Kingdom of Westeros for the first time.
- While these fans watch the first episode live at home there will also be M-Net events where Game of Thrones devotees and the media will watch the screening together. These events are taking place at Canal Walk in Cape Town, The Pavillion in Durban and Hyde Park in Johannesburg.
- If you don’t want to leave the comfort of your warm bed, you can watch it live on a selection of tablets and smartphones with the DStv Now App (available for Android and iOS).
- Or if you quickly want to catch each episode before heading off to work or at any other time that suits you, it will be available to watch on DStv Catch Up on the DStv Explora directly after the Express from the US airing on Monday mornings.
On the M-Net Edge prime time schedule:
- Game of Thrones Season 5 will be screened on Thursday nights at 21:00 on M-Net Edge, channel 102 on DStv (from 16 April).
- At the same time it will also be streamed on the DStv Now App.
- The latest episode of Game of Thrones Season 5 will be available on DStv Catch Up on the DStv Now App directly after the episode is screened on Thursdays.
- You will also find it on the DStv Catch Up service on HD and SD PVRs.
- Remember, if you missed out on the previous seasons (Season 1-4), there are three recap episodes available for viewers to watch on DStv Catch Up, available on the DStv Explora and on tablets or smartphones via the DStv Now App.
Additional, exclusive material on the M-Net App:
For a richer Game of Thrones experience, and to remind you not to miss the on air action, best you also also download the exciting new M-Net App. Should you wish to receive reminders from the M-Net App, you will be notified of the Express from the US and prime time episodes. By favouriting the Game of Thrones Express from the U.S. show page, you’ll gain access to the latest exclusive behind the scenes footage like interviews with the cast. The App is free to download – all you need is a reliable Internet connection to access. The M-Net App is currently available in the App Store for iOS users, and in the Google Play Store for Android users.
To interact with other local Game of Thrones fans, go to:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/MNet
- Twitter: @MNet and #MNetGOT5
Note: All M-Net Terrestrial viewers can also watch Game of Thrones Season 5 from 23 May at 21:30.