The MAQamovie semi-finals at Bassline Johannesburg saw celebrity judges Shona Ferguson, Sdumo Mtshali, Nomzamo Mbatha and Darrell Roodt selecting 15 finalists from 50 extremely talented amateur actors.
The semi-finalists were chosen from thousands of individuals who auditioned for a chance to be cast in one of 5 roles in a new South African movie by Phoenix Films. Directed by film industry stalwart Darrell Roodt, the film will showcase the talent of these five unknowns.
Jacqueline Jacobs, Sales and Marketing Director of MAQ Washing powder says: “The response to MAQamovie has been phenomenal, overwhelming in fact! The judges were blown away by the talent. Every person brought their best to the stage and demonstrated their skill. MAQamovie is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a foot in the door of the film industry and the finalists have really put their best foot forward!”
MAQamovie is one of many competitions brightening the lives of South Africans. A previous competition, MAQapella, was a search for a new MAQ song. Thousands of singers and singing groups entered from all over South Africa. The prize was phenomenal with the winners – Hashtag – walking away with a cash prize, a studio recording session and a music video. And the best prize of all – MAQ got a new song!
With MAQamovie, the competition is fierce with 15 enormously talented individuals preparing for the finals, which will be happening on the 11th of April 2015.
The finalists are:
- France Mogoboya from Limpopo
- Mthandeni Mbambo from KwaZulu-Natal
- Alibongwe Khumalo from KwaZulu-Natal
- Sizwe Nyameni from KwaZulu-Natal
- Sibusiso Meti from Eastern Cape
- Nozigqibo Apolisi from Eastern Cape
- Thabo Mabaso from North West
- Noxolo Simayi from North West
- Papiso Keogatile from North West
- Sinethemba Ngwenya from Gauteng
- Kgosiemang Moholo from Gauteng
- Mahlobo Ngubeni from Gauteng
- Thato Seeko from Gauteng
- Danisile Ntuli from Gauteng
- Makgato Machaba from Gauteng