May 4th is a day Star Wars fans have chosen to celebrate and honour all-things-Star-Wars, be it by posting Star Wars related content to social media, hosting Star Wars screening parties, wearing Star Wars costumes and clothing, or shopping for Star Wars merchandise.
Why May 4th? Because, as it happens, fans invented a clever turn of phrase based on the classic Star Wars slogan “May the Force Be With You” back in 1978: “May the FOURTH Be With You”. While originally invoked among US fans as a Fourth of July greeting, it was reset to May 4th the following year when a full-page ad appeared in the May 4, 1979 issue of The London Evening News to congratulate British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on her taking office that day: “May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations!”
Since then, and especially in recent years, Star Wars fans have claimed May 4th as their day, a day that has also given Lucasfilm an opportunity to give back to the Star Wars community that honors that galaxy far, far away. Since 2012, Lucasfilm has encouraged May the 4th activities through its official website and social channels as well as provided built-in discounts and special offers on Star Wars merchandise. And since “May the 4th Be With You” doesn’t carry the same witty punch when translated into other languages, “Star Wars Day” has been adopted to establish a global meaning for this annual worldwide celebration.
For more information on the history of Star Wars Day, check out this article on StarWars.com: http://www.starwars.com/news/gearing-up-for-may-the-4th-and-with-good-reason
So how will you be celebrating May 4th, 2015? Here are a few suggestions!
Top 10 Ways to Celebrate May the Fourth
- <View the “Top Ten Ways to Celebrate May the Fourth” under More Info button. >
- See how Star Wars UK fans celebrated recently for Star Wars Celebration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrEjg3kHU3I
Star Wars Quiz
- < View the “Star Wars Trivia” under More Info button. >
- Whether your skills are of a Padawan or a Jedi level, get your friends together and test your Star Wars knowledge
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- With over 88 million views in just 24 hours, the debut of the second teaser trailer for the 18 December 2015 worldwide cinema release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens caught the world’s imagination, celebrate Star Wars Day by introducing the trailer to friends and family!
Star Wars Rebels Season 2 Trailer
- The first season of the hit animated Disney XD (DStv Channel 304) series Star Wars Rebels has drawn to a spectacular close with a final scene reveal of none other than Darth Vader himself!
- With the fate of the galaxy at stake, Season 2 will premiere on Disney XD later this year, but here is a sneak peek at the drama, action, lightsaber battles and more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8GjpGK98A
Star Wars – The Digital Movie Collection
- For the first time ever, all six epic films in the Saga, from The Phantom Menace to Return of the Jedi, are now available on Digital HD throughout the galaxy – or at least here on Earth!
- In stunning HD, and with amazing bonus features, South African fans can access the Star Wars Digital Movie Collection exclusively on the South Africa iTunes Store via www.itunes.com/starwars