Things are beginning to really hot up in The Sing Off SA competition with the acapella talent search show registering its first casualties in the elimination rounds. Two of the participating groups had to bid their fellow contenders a brave but sad farewell during the episode transmitted on Sunday, 24 May 2015.
The eliminated groups are Durban-based – The Lyrics and The Next Level.
“The level of competition so far has been incredibly exciting. It’s going to be a tough season and contestants are really going to have to take their performances to another level in order to stand out from the crowd. I’m looking forward to seeing South Africa’s next big acapella group,” says one of the show’s judges, Zakes Bantwini.
The competition has eight groups remaining and will see one more group exiting the show on Sunday, 31 May.
The theme of the next episode is Gospel and the show will feature two of Mzansi’s most popular gospel artists in Khaya Mthethwa and Sfiso Ncwane.
The panel of judges comprises Zolani Mahola, HHP and Zakes Bantwini and the show’s host is the ever bubbly Nolly Meje.
The Sing Off SA top eight groups are:
- Solid: Solid is made up of specifically hand picked members who share a mutual love of acapella music. The group was formed two weeks ago and they are all based in Cape Town. Their music style is African jazz fused with funk;
- Legato: Legato is made up of child-hood friends and the group was formed in 2005. They are all based in Port Elizabeth and their music style is mainly gospel and acapella. Their unique feature is that they sing a variety of music;
- The Legacy: Legacy Movement was started in 2009. Their music style is indigenous culture, acapella fused with RnB, Hip Hop and isicathamiya. What makes them unique is that they posses a unique vibrant African sound;
- The Reactors: The Recreators met in church in 2009 and they sing all genres of music. They are based in Johannesburg;
- #Amagugu: Based in Johannesburg, Amagagu was formed in 2014. They describe their music style as adventurous. They say their unique feature is that they can sing any genre of music;
- Vocal Vortex:The group is made up of four cousins who met in church and have been singing since 2011. The members are all based in Atlantis Cape Town and can sing any genre of music;
- Soul Connection: Based in Johannesburg, Soul Connection is made up of a group of friends formed in 2010. The members are all based in Naturena and sing jazz and hip hop. Their unique feature is that they sing gospel with a touch of jazz and hip hop;
- Questions Mark: Based in Johannesburg, Question Mark is a group that was formed in 2015. Their music style is described as new age fusion with a touch of jazz.
Watch The Sing Off SA on Sunday, 31 May 2015, at 18:00, on SABC1 to see which of the remaining groups will be next to be eliminated from the competition.